Wednesday, June 8, 2011

this is important

Watch this video. It is important. We need women in leadership positions. I have really really strong views on this and I think this is a great talk and totally worth 15 min of your time.




One of the biggest mistakes of my career was that I didn't negotiate my pay when I very first started. I was just happy to get a job finally so I just accepted the offer. I guarandamntee if I was a man I would have negotiated that thing up at least 5 or 10k. My husband certainly did and without even thinking about it. And you know what? I'm still paying for my mistake. FIVE years later I don't get paid near what I should because I started with a lower salary and have had to work up from there. It was a stupid mistake.

I'll do an entire post sometime about what I think women can do to be a more powerful presence in the career force but for now, I think this video is a great start.

No comments: